What happens to fat when you lose weight? An expert reports.

What happens to fat when you lose weight? An expert reports.

Have you ever wondered what happens to fat when you lose weight? It's a common question that many people have, and today we have an answer from an expert in the field of endocrinology. Dr. Jane Smith, an esteemed endocrinologist, will explain exactly where that fat goes when you shed those extra pounds.

Where Does Fat Go?

When you lose weight, the fat doesn't just magically disappear. It actually goes through a process called oxidation. This means that the fat molecules are broken down into carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O). The carbon dioxide is then exhaled through your lungs, while the water is excreted through urine, sweat, and other bodily fluids. Learn more about oxidation here.

How Much Fat is Exhaled?

Believe it or not, the majority of the fat that you lose is actually exhaled as carbon dioxide. In fact, approximately 84% of the fat is converted into CO2 and leaves your body through your breath. The remaining 16% is converted into water and excreted through other means.

Does Fat Turn into Muscle?

Contrary to popular belief, fat does not turn into muscle when you lose weight. Fat and muscle are two completely different types of tissue, and they cannot be converted into one another. When you lose weight, you are simply reducing the amount of fat in your body, not turning it into muscle.

Can You Target Where Fat is Lost?

Unfortunately, you cannot target specific areas for fat loss. When you lose weight, your body decides where it wants to burn fat from. This is determined by a combination of genetics and overall body composition. So, doing endless crunches won't magically make your belly fat disappear. Instead, focus on overall weight loss through a combination of a healthy diet and regular exercise.

The Importance of a Healthy Lifestyle

Understanding where fat goes when you lose weight is important, but it's equally important to focus on maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Losing weight is not just about shedding fat, but also about improving your overall health and well-being. By adopting a balanced diet, engaging in regular physical activity, and managing stress levels, you can achieve long-term weight loss and improve your overall health.

So, the next time you embark on a weight loss journey, remember that the fat doesn't just disappear into thin air. It is broken down and eliminated from your body through a combination of exhaled carbon dioxide and excreted water. Understanding this process can help you make informed decisions about your health and weight loss goals.

weight loss vs fat loss, infographic



1. Fatty Acid Oxidation | ScienceDirect

Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved before they are published.